Friday, August 30, 2013

Sadie's Birth Story, Part 2

We arrived at St. Vincent's around 5:30pm.  When we got to the hospital, we were not sure where to go.  We stopped a couple of nurses and asked where I would need to check in at Labor and Delivery.  One of the nurses looked down at my belly and said,"Are you in labor??!!"  When I said yes, he looked a little panicked, ran and got a wheelchair and took us up to the 3rd floor.  He asked how far a part my contractions were, and said he worked with heart patients, and was not prepared to deliver a baby in the elevator.  HA!!

Once we got to a room, a nurse checked me and I still had not dilated past 1 1/2 cm, but confirmed yes my water had clearly broke.  The nurses felt confident Dr. Snowden would not administer any Pitocin until the next morning, just to see how I would progress on my own.  It was shift change when we arrived at the hospital, so my initial nurses were only with me for a short time.  They asked me about 47,251 questions about my medical history (seriously - I've never been asked so many questions in my entire life).  Then, my nurse Kaitlyn came in.  She was super sweet, and chatty.  She tried putting in my IV several times, and my veins would not cooperate.  2 other nurses had to try before they were finally successful on the 5th stick.  Hallelujah!

I was in almost no pain at all, feeling good, and super hungry.  Kaitlyn told me I could eat supper, but after 9:00pm could not have anything to eat or drink.  I was thrilled to get to eat!  Brad and I ate supper, and talked about what was happening - it all seemed like a dream!  I had not mentally prepared myself yet for Sadie to come - in my mind, she wasn't coming until August 4th.  Brad and I prayed, and then he settled in on his super comfy hard as a rock pullout sofa.  

At 11:00, I got a new nurse - Tanya.  Brad was a sleep, but I hadn't went to sleep yet, and had a slight headache.  Tanya gave me an Ambien and Tylenol, expecting it to help me sleep and ease my headache.  For whatever reason, neither helped.  I did not sleep a wink, and my headache only got worse.  They continued to check my blood pressure to make sure it was not high, and it continued to be normal.  Around 2:00am, Tanya started my Pitocin.  My body quickly responded, and my contractions got intense super quick!  However, the monitor was not reading correctly.  I was in significant pain, but the monitor would show almost a flat line of the contractions.  Tanya decided to change monitors, and put an internal monitor in to check my contractions.  Immediately the screen changed, and showed what was really happening!

Tanya immediately called for me to have an epidural.  I have no idea if getting an epidural is painful or not because I had contractions throughout the entire process...but, oh my how wonderful it was after I got it!!!  Tanya was absolutely wonderful through the night, helped me breathe through contractions, and just made me feel like she was in it with me.  I loved her!!

Brad's mom arrived at the hospital around 6:30am.  I had finally gotten to sleep an hour or two.  Brad decided to go ahead and get a shower, and I wanted to freshen up and fix my hair and makeup.  At 7:00, Tanya left and Lauren was my nurse for the day.  Lauren was wonderful - we talked smocked dresses all day, and I felt like I had one of my best friends with me all day!

She checked me around 7:00am and I had progressed to 4 cm.  7:00 - 11:00 is a blur to me.  I progressed quickly from 4 cm - 10 cm.  My parents got to the hospital around 8:30.  We had been in contact with our birth photographer, Dena Dendy, throughout my progress, and she was on her way.  Our siblings, and other close family and friends were on their way as well.

At 10:00, I was 10 cm.  Dena had not arrived yet, and it was extremely important to me for her to be there!  Lauren assured me that we could just wait - the longer I waited, the less pushing I would have to do!  While we were waiting, I started feeling a lot more pressure and pain.  Lauren told me if I wanted another Epidural shot, now was the time to say so.  I was so afraid that my first shot would wear off that I opted for the 2nd dose. (Bad mistake).  My blood pressure dropped significantly after getting the 2nd epidural, and I had a spike in temperature.  They had me to put the oxygen mask on.  After the 2nd shot, I literally could not feel ANYTHING from my chest down.  Dena arrived, and they got my vitals more stable, and it was time to push!  

I started pushing a little after 11:00.  Because of the 2nd epidural, I was way too numb.  RIDICULOUSLY numb.  I would push with every ounce of my being, and it was doing no good.  I pushed, and push, and pushed.  After an hour and 15 minutes of pushing, Dr. Franklin (who was on call), came in and said to let me take a 15 minute break.  Let me just say, I was bummed that Dr. Snowden was not going to be there to deliver Sadie.  However, I adored Dr. Franklin.  ADORED her.  She has the kindest, most gentle spirit.  The Lord knew she was who needed to be there for that delivery, and I wouldn't change it now if I could.

I asked for my epidural drip to be turned off in hopes that I could regain some control of my body and be able to push with more purpose.  Brad and I both rested during the break, and I felt much more revitalized.  I also felt like I had more control over my body.  In fact, after 45 more minutes of pushing, I felt everything.  Yes, everything.  (I got to experience labor with an epidural, and labor without.  Fun times!)

And, finally, at 1:43pm our sweet Sadie Hope made her appearance!  She weighed 7lb, 5oz, and was 20 inches long.

The feeling of that last push, hearing her cry, instant relief from pain, overwhelming emotions of what this day meant - I just can not put that moment in to words!  So, so precious!

After they weighed and measured her, they tried clearing her throat of fluid.  She had a slight gurgling when she would cry, and they thought she had swallowed some fluid during delivery (more on that to come).  

Before our family and friends came back, we had some skin to skin time, and time just the 3 of us.  Our new little family.  Brad and I had been a family of 2 for 10 years.  Through longing, and waiting, and heartache, and loss, and hoping, and praying, the Lord saw fit to make us a family of 3 on July 25th.  And, despite the state of our house and feeling unprepared, it was the absolute most perfect time for our Sadie Hope to enter this world.  Thankful for His perfect timing!

Our parents and Brad's grandmother came back first to meet Sadie, followed by our siblings and their children.  Then, the rest of our family and friends came back.  

After everyone left, Brad helped Lauren give Sadie her first bath.  Dena stayed with us for a while and took some shots of us as a family of 3.  We were over the moon in love with this precious girl already!

This is the point where most "birth stories" end.  However, as Sadie Hope has reminded us since her conception, her story is always going to be a little different...

Part 3 to come...

Side note - all of the images are by the amazingly talented Dena Dendy/Love of Mine Photography.    


  1. Thats a real good account of the happy moment. The pictures are lovely and very effective in B&W.

  2. Hayley , Sadie was born on Allison's birthday how great is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's precious and i'm so happy for all 3 of you. Yall will be the best parents ever !!!