.

.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One Special Lady

28 years ago, my mother made a huge decision. I had just been born, and my parents had no idea who was going to take care of me once my mother went back to work. As only the Lord can, He placed someone right in their path. She became my sitter before I was even 6 weeks old, and stayed with me until I started Kindergarten.

Her name is Frieda, and I love her so very much.

Frieda just turned 88 years old, but she is just as fiesty (and, do I mean FIESTY!!) today as she was when I was a child. She still sends me a Christmas present every single year, and calls my mom often to check up on us. Each year at Christmas, we try to go see her, and always leave with a smile on our face and in our hearts. She is a very special lady, and someone that has become apart of my spirit.

Today we made our trip to Georgia Mountain to see Frieda. As soon as she opened the door, I smelled her perfume that she has worn every day of my life, and it instantly took me back to many years ago. I have so many memories with her - taking me to get my first major haircut, her putting a little bikini on me and letting me "layout" with her teenage daughter (HA!), riding in her HUGE 1970's kelly green Buick Regal, her putting sprinkles in my grits so I would eat them...I could go on and on.

Spending as much time as I did with her as a child, she was a huge part of shaping me into who I am today. I even called her "Mama", much to my mother's dismay! There were many times growing up that I would do or say something, and my parents would just shake their heads and say "she must have gotten that from Frieda". :)

Frieda taught me how to laugh - alot - and, to not be too serious about life. She showed me through her words and actions that family is everything, and to keep them close. And, she proved that your attitude about life is what determines how young or old you are.

Today, Frieda talked alot about God's plan for our lives. She said, that even now at 88, God has a plan for her...although she doesn't know what it is, she just has to live everyday. Over the last few years, she has grieved for me and with me during mine and Brad's fertility battle. This afternoon, with determination in her eyes, and bold belief in her voice she turned to me and said, "Hayley, God has a plan for you. He knows what's best. You just keep trusting him, and living for Him. He's going to answer you."

Frieda, I don't know what God's plan for you is, but I do know today His plan for you was to bless my life by showing love, giving encouragement, and speaking truth over me. I love you forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment