.

.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Hey y'all!  I have friends and family asking me all the time for good weeknight recipes to make for dinner that are good, fast, and easy...so, I thought I would start sharing with y'all some of my tried and true meals that Brad and I enjoy, and a few "tricks" that I do to make cooking supper super easy!! 

One of my most favorite items in my kitchen is...my crockpot.  Yep, not the most "exciting" kitchen appliance or gadget, but with out a doubt one of the most efficient and time saving - you throw in your ingredients in the morning and when you get home, supper's ready!  The slow cooking does magic to tenderize meats and make soups rich and wonderful.  I make a crock pot meal at least once a week!  In fact, we had a crock pot meal tonight, and I thought some of y'all might like to try it out - Chicken and Wild Rice.  Brad and I really like this dish, and it's one of my staples.  I just added some asparagus bundles (just wrap 5 or 6 spears with a half piece of bacon and bake in the oven...YUM-O!!!!) and crescent rolls for our sides.  It took me about 5-10 minutes this morning to throw everything in the crockpot, and about 20 minutes tonight to get everything ready...a wonderful, delicious home made meal in less time than it would take to go pick up take out!! 

Chicken and Wild Rice

To your crockpot add:
3 - 4 chicken breasts (you can use bone-in or boneless - whichever floats your boat)
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (I've used the Original, Heart Healthy, and Fat Free...the consensus: they all work great!!  No major difference in the taste)
1 small onion, chopped in chunks
1 small can mushrooms, drained

Cook on LOW 8 hours.

Prepare a box of Uncle Ben's Wild-Long Grain Rice with the seasoning packet (the quick-cook box is what I use) according to package directions.  Mix in to the crockpot with cooked chicken, and let the flavors "marry" for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.  (I usually put the rice in to the crockpot, and then get my sides ready.)

I got the original recipe from here, but I of course have changed it slightly :)  This dish is great with green beans, asparagus, carrots, peas, or even a salad.

Delicious, quick, and easy...what more could you ask for out of a meal?!

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this. It looks so yummy and I think Bill will love it.

    ReplyDelete