.

.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gone Are The Days of Summer...

Back a couple of weeks ago, my mother was in the mood to clean out. She pulled out boxes of old pictures, letters, and cards that were given to me and Valerie through the years. Valerie came across a card that was written by my cousin, Lori, when they graduated from college. The card was covered on both inside and out of reminiscent memories of their college days as roommates. Every sentence started out with "gone are the days of..." We couldn't help but laugh - it sounded like they would never see one another again!

Well, for all people in education - summer is officially OVER, and I've been thinking about how I sure am going to miss summer.
So, in the same fashion as Lori's card...
"Gone are the days of Summer"
Gone are the days of sleeping late and middle of the day naps...

Gone are the days of flip flops and dirty bare feet...

Gone are the days of fresh tomato sandwiches, yummy okra and squash, straight out of the field watermelon, and oh so delicious homemade ice cream (yes, summer is a wonderful time to eat!)...

Gone are the days of no schedules and going shopping in the middle of the week...
Gone are the days of lounging around the pool...
Gone are the days of late night swimming...

Gone are the days of lazy lake days...

Gone are the days of spur of the moment day trips...
Gone are the days of volleyball victories...

Gone are the days of fresh cut grass and beautiful summer flowers...
BUT, all the sweet memories of this summer will linger in my thoughts, and days of next summer are already not far from my mind!
I hope everyone has a wonderful school year!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and it so true for many! Althought it is something to look forward to......to see what the next Summer holds! I hope you are getting back in the swing of things! I know it has got to be so hard getting back into a routine!
    Have a great and happy year!!

    ReplyDelete