.

.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sticks and Stones

Remember that old chant? "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!"

That is probably one of the biggest lies ever. Seriously.

During our revival services this week, our evangelist - Dr. Charles Bishop - mentioned this little chant and how the power of a word can affect someone....maybe even eternally. When our tongues are not guarded, we can become very dangerous. Believe me, I know from experience - my mouth is what has ALWAYS gotten me in trouble!

Lashing out in anger.

Saying too much.

Divulging information.

Speaking before thinking....and, then regretting.

Having to have the last word.

Hurting feelings.

Severing relationships.

I know without a doubt the Lord has really tried to show me some things this week about this very area. But, He has taken a very unique approach to teaching me. Instead of allowing me to be the goof that's doing the talking and inserting foot in mouth and embarassing myself (which is typically the tactic He likes to use with me!), He's allowed me to be on the painful receiving end.

Yesterday and today I had 2 people say something to me that held power over me. Thoughtless, hurtful statements, that I feel certain if they could have rolled the tape back and deleted what they said, they probably would. One of the statements was completely a "speaking before thinking" instance, and knowing as soon as it came out it shouldn't have because of the hurt the words most likely caused...but, the damage was already done. The other statement was said to me out of frustration and stress...but no matter the excuse, the words were like pouring salt in a wound.

Piercing.

Powerful.

Painful.

Hard to forget.


The Lord has alot to say about the power of the tongue in His Word:

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Proverbs 10:19


The humor in the 2 situations I was in (the Lord ALWAYS puts a little humor in when it comes to me!) is that I have been very sick with bronchitis this week, and barely have a voice at all...so, both times I really wasn't even able to speak back to the harsh words! What that allowed though, was for me to have time to sit and think about what happened - why it happened - the motives behind the words - to pray about how to respond - and, to be much calmer when I did.

Hmmmm, wonder what I was supposed to learn through all this?

Think about the words you say each day - nice words, comforting words, funny words, loving words, hurtful words, angry words, mean words - and the power they hold over people. I know I will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment